Imports

Bayerischer Bahnhof

Germany

History: 1842 inauguration of the 1. Section After seven years of intensive negotiations and a construction period of 14 months the first section of the "Sächsisch-Baierschen Eisenbahn" was inaugurated between Leipzig and Altenburg. The train stations at the time were just "Personenschuppen", that only protected against rain. But the Byarischer Bahnhof, built from the vision of architect Christian August Eduard Pötzsch, was built solidly. It was primarly financed from private capital as investors believed that profits could be made in the railroad enterprise. 1844 assumption by the Kingdom of Saxonia The Bavarian station, in its classic style of its time, was handed over to Saxonia for regulation. However the generous complex was not appreciated throughout. The shareholders spoke of the “temple of the Verschwendung”. Today we can be grateful the architect Pötzsch fought against stingy investors to create such a beatufiul station. It was not the station but rather the complex and cost-intensive construction of bridges in the Vogtland that caused the private ownership to go bankrupt in 1847. The Kingdom of Saxonia jumped in and completed the railway between Leipzig and Görlitz. 1875 the golden age of the Bayerischer Bahnhof During 1875 about one million passengers passed through the Bayrischer Bahnhof. The Leipzig station, nicknamed the "Gate into the South", led the travelers to Bavaria, Austria and Italy. During this time Leipzig gained in importance as a commerce and industrial city and central freight station. Kings and large princes operated here just like commercial travellers, buyers and workers. The golden time of the Bayrischer Bahnhof ended only with the opening of the main station. In the year 1912 main line train traffic was shifted there. 1944 the destruction In 1944 an attack by the Allies during World War II serverly damaged the Bayrischer Bahnhof. The passenger hall, train station and administrations building were completely destroyed. Nevertheless the railway company continued. After 1945 there were no longer enough resources to reconstruct the station. Many attempts were made to rebuild the station, but none materialized. In 1975 the station was placed under monument protection by the government. 1999 the rebuilding Finally there was hope for the destroyed buildings of the Bayrischer Bahnhof: The Deutsche Bahn AG and brewery owner Thomas Schneider annouced their intention to rebuild the compex completely and furnishing it in its historical premises as a hotel brewery. In May the construction work began. With highest care and under guidance of the monument conservationists one secured the existing remains and supplemented her after its historical layout. The public pursued the rebuilding of the Bayrischer Bahnhof with sympathy and interest - finally it became a landmark of the city Leipzig. 2000 the reopening After approximately 14 months of construction. The Bayrischer Bahnhof opened its gates again on July 19th, 1999 as a hotel & Gosebrauerei. Ingrid Biedenkopf, Gattin of the Saxonian Prime Minister opend the doors to the hotel. It has a become a beautiful landmark on the Leipziger landscape. And the home of a famous beer speciality: The original Leipziger Gose is brewed in the brewery - beside some other beers -. With full right one can state that the Bayrischer Bahnhof experiences one Renaissance. Brewery Picture: